Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

What is Heap table in SQL Server and How to get all the heap table from a database ? TIP # 54

 

Heap table:-

A table without cluster index is called Heap table. Now you are thinking why we are talking about this.

So as  SQL developer we should aware and In next post I will explain which is related to maintenance how to Rebuild a heap table.

Now our next question is how to determine all the heap table from a database

so below is simplest query to determine all the heap tables from a  database

SELECT T.Name 'Heaptable'
FROM sys.indexes I    
    INNER JOIN sys.tables T
        ON I.object_id = T.object_id
WHERE I.type = 0 AND T.type = 'U'

I ran this query on Adventureworks database and 2 tables with heap as shown in below figure

heaptable

now in next post we will discuss how to rebuild fragmented heap table which is a maintenance activity.

I hope this article may help you.

Thanks !!!

RJ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment